When you have suffered property damage and have filed or are considering filing a property insurance claim, you may be eager to know how quickly your claim will be approved or denied. After all, you likely want to fix our property as soon as possible. However, the length of the property insurance claim process depends on a variety of factors.
Rhode Island State Law
The first thing to consider is that property insurance claims will vary by state. While some states don’t specify how long the insurance company has to make a decision, others have a specific time frame.
In Rhode Island, an insurance company has 10 business days to acknowledge receipt of the claim and to send the claimant the proper instructions and paperwork. Such paperwork includes proof-of-loss forms, which the policyholder must use as a sworn statement concerning the scope of the property damage.
The state requires that insurance companies make a decision on the property damage claim within 15 business days of receiving the completed proof-of-loss forms. The company will have 30 business days to make the final payment should it approve the claim.
Speeding up the Process
While it can be extremely frustrating and stressful waiting to hear back from your insurance company, there are some things that you can do that can possibly help to expedite the process.
- The first thing that you can do is to maintain a list of your property and its value (with any proof possible).
- When you experience an issue with property damage it’s also important to report the issue as soon as possible.
- When reporting your issue(s), it’s important to take detailed photos of the damage in question.
- Also, saving all correspondence between you and your insurance company can make things much easier and less redundant.
- Finally, it’s also a good idea to read through your insurance agreement and to be aware of the fine details of your policy. That way you can ensure compliance with what the company requires of you.
If you fill out the paperwork incorrectly or forget to include something that is required, it can cause delays to the process.
Palumbo Law Helps Those in Rhode Island with their Property Insurance Claims
Filing a property insurance claim can be extremely confusing – and extremely frustrating. The last thing you want is to have your claim denied or delayed because of something that you did incorrectly. That’s why it’s so important to know how to file your claim from the beginning. An attorney can help to ensure that you properly file your property insurance claim.
At Palumbo Law, our experienced Rhode Island Property Damage lawyers work strategically to help our clients to get what they deserve. We have experience with property insurance companies and claims and know what insurance companies are looking for. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, call us today!